Announced less than a month ago and selling like hotcakes in its homeland, the Mi 8 is Xiaomi’s latest leading model. Well, it’s the company’s 8-year anniversary, and it has to be celebrated.
Taking a look at the Mi 8 and the Mi 6 side-by-side, it makes much more sense. Well, together with the Mi 8, Xiaomi is back to the ideal track.
That means a 19-ish-to-9 tall display using a top notch like everyone else has. But, there’s an infrared face recognition camera there similar to what just a select few Galaxies can boast. Sadly, this regular Mi 8 does not get the Explorer version’s 3D face mapping and its under-display fingerprint reader – just a regular rear-mounted one for the vanilla model.
The two share cameras, however, and they come straight from the Mi Mix 2S – a dual pixel 12MP primary cam and an extra 12MP one for 2x zoom, not unlike them high-end Galaxies. No luxury Galaxy has had a 20MP front-facing camera, but this Mi 8 will.
The Mi 8 is large when it comes to positioning – it’s the very first phone to support the L5 band of GPS signal, allegedly making it that far more precise in dense urban environments. We’ll see about that, even if it’s not only a Hong Kong skyline we have here.
Xiaomi Mi 8 specs
- Body: 7000-series aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front and back; 154.9×74.8×7.6mm, 175g.
- Display: 6.21″ Super AMOLED, 2,248×1,080px resolution, 18.7:9 aspect ratio, 402ppi; HDR 10 and DCI-P3 compliant.
- Rear camera: Primary 12MP, Type 1/2.55″ sensor, 1.4µm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, dual pixel PDAF, OIS; Secondary 12MP, Type 1/3.4″ sensor, f/2.4 aperture, autofocus; 2x zoom. 2160p/30fps, 1080p/240fps slow motion.
- Front camera: 20MP, 0.9µm pixel size, f/2.0 aperture; 1080p/30fps video recording.
- OS: Android 8.1 Oreo; MIUI 9.5 custom overlay.
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845: octa-core CPU (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver), Adreno 630 GPU.
- Memory: 6GB of RAM; 64/128/256GB storage; no microSD slot.
- Battery: 3,400mAh Li-Po (sealed); QuickCharge 4.0+ fast charging.
- Connectivity:Dual-SIM; LTE-A, 4-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.16/13 (1Gbps/150Mbps); USB-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; dual-band GPS; Bluetooth 5.0
- Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint reader; single down-firing speaker; infrared face recognition; no 3.5mm jack.
The rest is pretty standard for a 2018 flagship – Snapdragon 845 goes without saying, there are 6 gigs of RAM on board and your pick of 64, 128 or even 256GB of storage, the 3,400mAh battery seems about adequate, and the Android variant is 8.1 Oreo (as though it makes that much of a gap with MIUI on top).
Built-in storage may be a lot (or at least marginal enough for the 64GB variant ), however a microSD slot for expansion is always welcome, just there isn’t one on the Mi 8. Not trendy. Beneath the same category, we had recorded the lack of a 3.5millimeter jack, although it’s not like we had been anticipating one – Xiaomi had already scrapped it to the Mi 6. What else is in that box today?
The Mi 8 comes from a black box with a large’8′ based on the very best. A smaller box full of leaflets sits above the phone, however, there’s also a case inside – a dark translucent soft silicone one. The USB-C-to-3.5millimeter adapter is in here also.
Then comes the phone itself and underneath it quite a substantial QuickCharge 3.0 power brick and a USB-A-to-C cable.